Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PDAs and other devices as authentication...

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:22:21 -0500

Last year in Europe I used some Internet access wireless hotspot where
you paid and a license code was SMS'd to your phone. It was very slick
and very easy. Or it would have been if I'd had an SMS phone. ;)

Another important point I forgot to raise in my standard rant #2978378
is that people are going to be VERY reluctant to share their
cell phone or PDA, whereas they might be willing to hand their
token over for a few minutes so someone can get to the rest room..

In a related story:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/02/22/japan.smart.phones.ap/index.html
Smart phones work like train tickets
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 Posted: 10:54 AM EST (1554 GMT)
A new cell phone that works as a smart card embedded with a computer chip to go through train station gates.

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Some 10 million Japanese commuters use smart cards embedded with a computer chip to pay for train
tickets and slip by station gates with just a tap of their plastic on special reading devices.

With a service planned for launch in January next year, they'll be able to use their mobile phones in place of the
cards to pay for their train fares, a Japanese train company, a top mobile operator and Sony Corp. said Tuesday.

mjr.