Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX 515E F/O memory upgrade

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:04:23 -0500

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [fw-wiz] PIX 515E F/O memory upgrade

Secondly, there is conflicting information in the docs. The 6.3 Command
Reference states
that the two devices must be identical wrt version, flash size, ram size
etc. The Upgrade to
7.0 guide and the Hardware Installation Guide both state that there must
be at least the
same amount of memory. Since we will be upgrading the standby unit to
128Mb first and then
failing over from the primary unit, the second statement will be
fulfilled. Can anyone
comment on this as to who is correct or if we will need momentary downtime
with complete
loss of connectivity.

I can't find the exact wording you reference, but if "at least the same
amount of memory" is a direct quote, then that's just lousy wording.
There's no such thing as "at least the same" in anything - it's either the
same or it's not.

That said, if I understand you correctly, you plan to:

1. Fail the standby firewall.
2. Power down the standby and upgrade it from 64MB to 128MB of RAM, touching
nothing else.
3. Power up the standby, let it resync state.
4. Fail the primary firewall.
2. Power down the primary and upgrade it from 64MB to 128MB of RAM, touching
nothing else.
3. Power up the primary, let it resync state and take over primacy.

I don't see why this shouldn't work.  I've used a similar procedure to add
4FE cards to a failover pair of 515's without a hiccup (except forcing the
VPN tunnels to reconnect).

PaulM