Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Question about setting up PIX firewall

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 02:18:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, James wrote:

I would strongly disagree Paul.  We can learn an enormous amount of
recon intelligence from Matthews config.

Well, I got several messages of support which said "I'm glad you said that
so I didn't have to (those folks are welcome to chime back in,) so let's
look at your points..."

1. We know he is using a PIX so we only have to look for exploits for that.

Assuming it's up to date, that leaves zero day explioits, which really
should be rare these days.  It also assumes the PIX is the only
firewall there (which is likely, but not definite.)

2. Domain name-> domain-name spectrumdirect.local and dns server
vpngroup SpectrumDirect dns-server 192.168.1.250
192.168.1.250

Yes, we could probably derrive that anyway- it's a .edu- it's not like
their architecture is uber seekrit...

3. His rfc1918 subnet-> 192.168.1.128 255.255.255.128
Which we may be able to exploit with source routed packet attacks.
(I am not sure how well the PIX stands up to these)

If either strict or lose sorce routing gets through your firewall, it's a
decade out of date...  In any case, *lots* of people use outlook express
or other things which "leak" 1918 addresses, that shouldn't matter one
bit.  Know what?  My home network is 10.1.10.x/24- knowing that won't do
you one bit of good, because my security implementation is as strong as
it needs to be and my ruleset is protective..

3.He is using a client to site vpn with split tunnellling enabled so if we could
find a users home PC and compromise it we could gain a significant
amount of access while the user is connected to the vpn.

But if you could find a client *and* compromise it, you'd be able to do
that *anyway*, knowing the ruleset doesn't signifcantly change the risk
there.  FWIW, you'd have to find and compromise a VPN-allowed client and
if you can do that, there are way more useful things you can do as an
attacker with or without split tunneling.  If you need split tunnnels,
you're likely not sophisticated enough an attacker to worry about the
minor incremental risk.

4. We know the vpn config so we can easily get our hands on the cisco vpn client
and try to BF the password because the AUTH is LOCAL and the BF
attempt probably won't be detected.

If it's subject to a brute force, it is anyway- it's more likely that that
would happen blind these days.

5. telnet 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside
Telnet is used to administer the box so if we can compromise the web
server inside we can
probably sniff the pix passsword and allow ourselves whatever access we want.

If you could do that, you'd be able to do the same thing anyway, the
confing doesn't materially add to that- you'd still have to have an
exploit.  Of course, this assumes the network is sniffable, which is not a
given these days.  On a .edu network, an outside attacker isn't the likely
point of compromise anyway.

These are just a few ideas I pulled of the top of my head.  Matthew
Davis if you are reading this I strongly adivse you to request the
firewall wizards mailing list pull your post off their servers and
also request google to do the same however more than likely your post
has
allready been cached and or skimmed.

Assuming your firewall is functional (and you've provided zero evidence
that his isn't) then if your firewall ruleset isn't publically auditable,
you're doing something wrong.  If it is, then its disclosure adds very
little to the actual risk.

Paul