Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Windows VPN/RRAS traffic through watchguard

From: Chuck Swiger <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:02:11 -0400

Danny wrote:
Now, a VPN "connection" is established from the Internet into the ISA
server without a problem, however VPN traffic through the tunnel does
not work most of the time. It's inconsistent but primarily does not
work.

So, now I try without the Watchguard in the picture, and the tunnel
carries traffic just fine - as it should.

Has anyone ever experience such a problem?

Are you using NAT? If so, you'll need to use a UDP-based system, and/or assign unique TCP port numbers to each distinct connection. Otherwise, you'll probably be limited to only having one VPN session active at a time.

Are you passing GRE through? I recently had to deal with a similar situation involving Cisco's VPN hardware and their VPN client, and the following helps:

redirect_proto gre routerIP
redirect_port udp routerIP:500 500
redirect_port udp routerIP:4500 4500
redirect_port udp routerIP:62515 62515
redirect_port tcp routerIP:10000 10000
redirect_port tcp routerIP:pptp pptp

Replace routerIP with your ISA server's IP.  YMMV.

--
-Chuck