Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Out of Band management

From: "Bruce B. Platt" <bruce () ei3 com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:28:58 -0400

Devdas Bhagat wrote:

<snipped...>

For networking equipment, a console server.
For servers which support serial consoles, dialin modems *and* a spare
NIC. If your system isn't booting up, the NIc isn't really useful.
IP KVMs are useful for systems which don't support serial consoles.

Keep this on a physically separate network if possible.

I have not done this in many years, but you are right on. The only modification I would suggest is to use a terminal server device which you can dial into via pots for access to the router consoles as _well_ as the consoles of machines which support a serial console device.

It's handy to be able to get to a console prompt or a unix tty and see that the network isn't "working" because the border router is not passing any bits.

I think one can still find DECServer 90's (see how long ...) on the used market, or equivalent.

Regards

Devdas Bhagat