Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Weird SMTP issue

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:51:08 -0700

Have been having a weird issue with SMTP traffic someone might have
some suggestions about.

Recently installed an SMTP MTA as an antispam box, running Linux and
Brightmail anti-spam software.  It is configured as the primary MX
for the domains it handles, and forwards all legit messages to one of
2 final destination MTAs.  It also sits behind a Netscreen 25
firewall. (401_xx firmware)

The Netscreen is configured to allow all outgoing traffic from the
Brightmail box and block incoming traffic by default.  SMTP incoming
traffic to the Brightmail box is allowed.

When the Brightmail system was put in service and configured to
forward certain spam messages to a particular email account, I
started getting constant Netscreen messages warning of "Port Scans"
originating from the destination MTA back to the Brightmail box.
Inevitably these "Port Scans" originate on port 25 on the destination
MTA and the are sent to a high-numbered port on the Brightmail box.

The only thing I can think of is that the stateful firewall's session
timeout is expiring and some very slow responses are looking like new
connection attempts, so the firewall is flagging them as "port scan"
attempts.  But I never see this kind of problem with regular (non-
spam) email traffic forwarded from the Brightmail box to the same
MTAs, and rarely at any other time. (the session timeouts are set to
default values)

As a test I completely reconfigured which MTA that the Brightmail box
is forwarding these messages to, using a completely different MTA
software on a completely different OS, and I still see the same
problem.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look or how best to troubleshoot
this?

TIA,

Phil

--