Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Log checking?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:36:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

[Summarizing off-list replies]

Mainly, people feel that summarizing denied traffic shows the firewall has
value.  They also thought it was a useful measure of probe activity.

We had one respondent who was reviewing rulesets to nuke old rules that
weren't being hit anymore- a bright spot in my day, since I don't think
most places review rules often enough.

Someone had a firewall that didn't log allowed traffic normally, and they
had to jump through hoops to get that data- to me that's a firewall buying
point that'd kill a product for me.

Everyone who had outbound rules mentioned tracking down worms and poorly
configured machines.  I tended to screen my firewalls from the inside too-
probably because I was too grumpy about what sort of things were allowed
in e-mail to want to spend time fixing the downstream effects ;)

One respondent had a tool to run logs through and match with proposed rule
changes- that sounds like a singular lifesaver to me- I want one- that
works for several firewall types!

Another person was worried that most admins don't have the skills to
analyze the data- probably a way too valid point.

Mostly it seems like folks roll their own perl code to analyze logs- but
the self-selected sample is looking at the logs- another bright spot!

After yesterday's CSI/FBI survey presentation, I  needed something good-
there's enough holes to drive a truck through, and I'm pretty convinced
that it's a good counter-example for "anything is better than nothing."
*sigh*

Paul