Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: LDAP and Kerberos?

From: Mason Schmitt <hr824 () sunwave net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:24:29 -0700

On September 20, 2004 09:27 am, Christopher Hicks wrote:
About 200 users currently.  The LDAP server will be used for
authenticating a handful of web apps (one of which is bugzilla and several
others we've written in house), autenticating Linux/UNIX shell users
across a dozen boxes, and supporting distributing authoritative sendmail
across an array of three boxes widely geographically distributed.  So,
kerberos gets me nothing for sendmail or bugzilla as far as I know.  I'm
sure the Linux login piece could be kerberized, but since the primary
login method for 98% of the users is across the web there's not going to
be any useful single logon.  Oh, I do want to do samba through LDAP at
some point.

One of the valid security advantages of kerberos vs ldap is the finite
lifetime of the ticket and the central management of ticket lifetime.  This
would make sense for your samba deployment, and linux/UNIX shell access, but
has no value for your web app.

--
Mason Schmitt