Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Mathematics of Relative Security

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:01:56 -0700

Chris Pugrud wrote:

In attempting to evaluate the relative security and exposure of interconnected
subsets of computers there is a distinct shortage of language and tools to
algorithmically evaluate the risks between those groups.
You may want to check out this paper:

   Zhixing Gao, Chen Hui Ong, and Woon Kiong Tan. Survivability
   Assessment: Modeling Dependencies in Information Systems. In
   Proceedings of the Information Survivability Workshop (ISW 2002),
Vancouver, BC, March 2002. http://www.cert.org/research/isw/isw2001/papers/

They propose a relative security ("survivability") assessment method that models dependencies of components on one another, with the mission objective as the root. They can then determine which component failures will lead to a failure of the mission. The limitation of this approach, apart from the cost of constructing such a model for large systems, is that for many practical systems, the model would quickly indicate that exploiting a failure in a trusted software component can compromise the mission, that a very large fraction of the software is trusted, and thus the survivability of the system against security attack reduces to the probability of exploitable vulnerabilities in a large software base, which is hard to assess.

More succinctly, if you ask the question "am I secure?" in a highly rigorous fashion, the likely answer is "Hell no" :)

I know I'm not the first person to evaluate these issues, or to initiate this
conversation in this group.  I think that this is fundamentably possible at a
higher level, only looking at connections and direction, and provably
unsolvable at the lowest levels of ports and protocols (reducability to the
halting problem).  I'm searching for the people here who have already done some
of the heavy lifting and can at least point me in the right direction to enable
some more quantifiable analysis of highly complex security environments.
You might also want to check out my recent book chapter. It mostly surveys ways to enhance survivability (a DARPA term that in industrial parlance means approximately "intrusion prevention") it covers the assurance question (how secure are we?) to some extent:

   "Survivability: Synergizing Security and Reliability". Crispin
   Cowan. Book chapter in "Advances in Computers", Marvin V. Zelkowitz
   editing, Academic Press, 2004.  Buy "Advances in Computers" 60 here
   <http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/702750/description>.
   Chapter here PDF <http://immunix.com/%7Ecrispin/survivability.pdf>.

Crispin

--