Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: WLAN DMZ Ideas

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:38:55 -0400 (EDT)

WAP is not a secure encryption boundry, so you need to add another layer
to protect all the wifi on the vlan prior to it getting to the wlan.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 firewalladmin () bellsouth net wrote:

Just wanted to thank everyone who answered with ideas. The main theme, based on the large campus-like environment,
was VLANs. The proposal I suggested then was to implement 3DES encryption and MAC filtering on the WLAN (which goes
without saying, of course). The AP's are then placed on a VLAN which is connected to the default VLAN through a Cisco
Router with a very restrictive access list. This is made simpler based on the proprietary ports used to talk with the
Management station, no standard http or netbios stuff needs to cross VLANs, which means that all the standard
exploitable ports will be closed. In addition, physical security is excellent. The "campus" is highly secured and
restricted with gates/security guards, the LAN equipment is further secured in restricted access buildings, rooms and
cabinets. In addition we are a "secured" area within a larger "secured" campus, which really helps limit the
eavesdropping on the WAPs. Anything else to consider? Thanks!
Mark

Mark F.
MCP, CCNA
"You can spend your life any way you want... But you can only spend it once."

--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!