Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: EAL4 firewall choice

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:16:38 +0000

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy Kevin Sheldrake a következőeket írta:
Hello

I have a requirement to install an EAL4 firewall in my very small office,

In this case you have the requirement: "We do not care about the
functionality. We need to be reasonably sure that this unknown
functionality works as the vendor specified it."

EAL level without functional specification (in most cases in form
of a PP reference) is meaningless. And beware that no standard
firewall PP offers the security functions you need if you want
to have real network perimeter defence, let alone corporate
information flow control policy enforcement.

So, with that in mind, I'm thinking Cisco PIX is an option.  I'm also very
partial to Cyberguard but believe they may be expensive.  I do not wish to
run Checkpoint.  What do people think of Borderware? or Sidewinder? or
Symantec?  See the full list here:
http://www.cesg.gov.uk/site/iacs/index.cfm?menuSelected=1&displayPage=151

I am tired of telling people my opinion on packet filtering routers.
You can find it in the archives.

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból