Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VM system for firewall use

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:17:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Christopher Hicks wrote:

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
I'm really unsure as to why a jail isn't enough though--

I was thinking about this and I'm thinking JAILs plus MAC would provide a
more winning solution than seperating things by using VMs.

I'm leaning that way as well, though it seems non-intuitive on the
surface.

Scenario: a compartment gets compromised.  If that compartment is in a
JAIL/MAC environment then what that compromise can accomplish is
effectively minimized.  In the VM environment the compromise would
compromise that entire VM and that VM could communicate with any other VM
in any way it pleased.

More importantly (I think) the data objects in a MAC environment never
lose their label, and therefore enforcement is the same over all
things that would be VMs- if that includes things like executability, or
if it includes compartments for devices, the boundaries are held no matter
what happens, so there's less chance for malice (depending on policy and
design) than with some sort of one-off inter-VM communication system.

The JAIL/MAC version seems a lot less scary and catastrophic to me.

Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure jail is even necessary with the right MAC modules and
capability stuff turned on.  If you have the partition module and the
seeotheruids module loaded, I'm not sure that jail gives you much.

More importantly, VMs don't scale well if you have lots of processes to
protect from one another, MAC seems to.

Paul