Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security and Audit Policy

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:09:45 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Servie Platon wrote:

1. Enabled Firewall rules on the network and with
Win32 clients;

Enabling firewall rules without a solid security policy and management
buy-in of that policy is putting the cart before the horse.  How do you
know what rules to put on the firewall?

2. Installed Anti Virus Software for the network and
enabled
automatic updates;
3. Enforced User Permissions for most users; (dilemma)
4. Disabled M$ Outlook and IE and replaced these with
Mozilla
Thunderbird and Firefox.

Did the security policy discuss client issues?

Problems:

1. I don't know how to keep track of their browsing
patterns,

I generally like to force browsing through a proxy, and use the proxy logs
to track behavior.  I also like to block streaming audio, P2P and whatever
else I can there, at the firewall and in the local internal caching
nameserver (I don't like clients resolving directly in any circumstance.)

some users have intermediate to advanced browsing
skills which
they can conceal where they have visited such as maybe
porn
sites and the like. How do I prove my suspiscion and
stop them

Firewall logs?  Usage policies?  On-system logging?

from doing this? I am afraid that by doing so, our
network may
be trojaned or may have been infected with spyware or
may be a
zombie now?

Easy enough to figure out, watch the traffic in and out of the network for
Trojan activity.  That's why firewall rules are important, lots of zombies
use IRC out- few businesses have a case for IRC.

2. I wanted to enforce strict user permissions, but my
dilemma
would be, bosses or managers take it against me or
anyone
restricting on what they could or not do on their
machine. To
make a concrete example, I could do an audit policy
for all
users with less rights to install programs and the
like but some
of them, listen to radio, download .exe files or
shareware
without my knowledge.

This is why you must have a security policy, and management must buy-in to
that policy.  I've only so far seen one good business case for listening
to the radio over the network (I still denied it.)  Perhaps in this case,
QoS is a better method of enforcing some of the policy.

If I enforce this restrictive permissions, they get
back on me.
If I don't, I am afraid the network is considerably
slows down
and I think, some machines may be a compromised
already unless
the bandwidth is being used up by the users. How do I
catch them
accessing forbidden sites and how do I stop them from
doing such
and how do I make them with less capacity without them
getting
furious?

For the first, monitoring is key. logs, sniffing, or whatever works.  For
the second, you need to make a business case for security and have buy-in.

3. Though, I have setup and installed Mozilla
Thunderbird and
Firefox in each client PCs, most of them still use M$
Outlook
and IE. How do I justify and convince them not to use
this
because of security loopholes and problems? Some are
so used to
Outlook and IE that they don't want change.

This is often a religious issue, so the security policy should have a
policy about client properties and what is or isn't acceptable.

Any suggestions, on how to make it less of a burden to
administer this network of 12 clients would be
appreciated.

Tiny organizations are the most difficult to get buy-in for, since they're
generally less formal than large ones when it comes to policy and process.

Paul