Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Load Balancing

From: Mark Tinberg <mtinberg () securepipe com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:17:23 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Nathaniel Hall wrote:

LDAP request goes to 172.16.0.63
Request is routed to interface on same network and destination address is correctly changed to a random system to be load balanced. Once there is an answer for LDAP, the answer goes directly to the requesting machine, not the firewall that routed it.

I'm sure there are many ways to fix this, by in my pre-coffee state I can think of two.

1) NAT the traffic on the FW so that responses are sure to go to the right
   place.

2) Set the LDAP cluster with limited routing table, a /29 for example, so
   the traffic has to route through the firewall to get back to the rest
   of your network.

Q: Why do you have source, dest and firewall on same segment?
Q: Maybe dns round robin would be better for load balancing

--
Mark Tinberg <MTinberg () securepipe com>
Network Administrator, SecurePipe Inc.