Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Ethics & hiring

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:38:29 -0500 (EST)

In light of our earlier discussion, this bit of news out of the SANS
digest seems apropos:

  --SecurePoint Loses Business Partner Over Hacker Hire
(15 November 2004)
German antivirus company H+BEDV Datentechnik has called a halt to its
partnership with SecurePoint because of that firm's decision to hire the
young man who allegedly created Sasser.  H+BEDV chief executive Tjark
Auerbach said his company does not want any part of its product
development to be associated with an alleged malware writer.
http://news.zdnet.com/2102-1009_22-5453166.html?tag=printthis
[Editor's Note (Northcutt):  This is a bigger story than it may appear.
People who create worms and allow them to spread probably should be in
prison, not working for a security company.
http://practice.findlaw.com/blogger-0804.html
Also, SecurePoint is not just a firewall company. They sell a VPN and
personal firewall, this is reminiscent of Cathedral Software in the
movie, The Net.]

cheers!