Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Odd scan to port 36867

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:29:01 +0100

Could be malware activity, or someone scanning for backdoors / botnets. None
of the current big name malware uses that port by default AFAIK, but I guess
there could be variants.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing more of the logs - there might be
patterns in the source port, IPID etc which often indicate that it's malware
generated. You can send those through to me direct if you don't want to bore
the list.

The TTL is 103 - that means it's odds on that this traffic came from a
Windows system. Default TTL is 64 on most of the unix / linux variants (it
could be VMS, but there are too many unique sources!). If your logs show
other packets with TTL 0<ttl<64 then it's almost certainly scanning activity
not malware, since it's cross platform.

rDNS says this is ip142177185232.mpoweredpc.net so this _particular_ probe
seems to be a home user in Canada - it's a sneaky Canadian, not a sneaky
German.

SANS Dshield is dead right now, but normally I would also check there, to
see if what you're seeing is backed up by a local / global increase. You
could also submit it to the handlers there, they do good Sherlock Holmes
work, if they've got time.

If this is what it looks like (perps scanning for non-standard backdoors)
then it would be good to investigate further. Then again it could just be
nothing, who knows.

Cheers,

ben