Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

NIGERIAN EMAIL SCAM

From: Servie Platon <servie_tech () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:10:26 -0800 (PST)

Hello firewall wizards and security experts,

May I ask for some kind of spam 101 tutorial from
anyone. Please kindly enlighten me on how these
spammers or people who send scam emails
indescriminately all over the internet which is kind
of annoying.

Please refer to the whole excerpts of the email
below/bottom part of this message.

I received an email from this sender"maryam56"
<widowwoman () tiscali it>

and have sent an email to this address,
selcom01 () amnetsal com

Now, my question here is this. I have no idea how
these people tend to get email addresses of people
whom they intend to victimize.

I am just concerned if ever, my home network might be
compromised though, I have followed all the tips, and
safeguards as suggested by the security gurus and
experts here.

However, I am just wondering, since I have a small
home network comprising of linux and windoze boxes I
am worried if and it could be possible that I am in
danger here because, I receive spam or emails with
intent to do scam both in my yahoo account and in my
work/office email account.

Could this be due to the fact that, I have subscribed
at usergroups such as this? What I mean here, if I
post a message to this usergroup or anywhere, these
people might or could get hold of my email address?

Please kindly enlighten me on how these spammers do
this to automatically generate or send emails without
my knowledge.

Hope to hear from anyone whoc could explain so that I
could again peacefully sleep at night.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Servie

FROM: MRS. MARYAM ABACHA.
POT 675 KANURI AVENUE,KANO.

My Dear ,

A Very Good day to you.

This letter may come to you with lot of surprises but
patiently go
through it for your kind understanding.I got your
contact from a discrete
search for a trusted and reliable foreigner or company
who can be of
this great help to me and my family. I am Mrs Maryam
Abacha, the wife of
the former Nigerian Head of State who died on the sit
as a result of
cadiac arrest in 1998. Following the sudden death of
my husband General
Sani Abacha,I have been thrown into a state of utter
confusion,
frustration and hopelessness by the present civilian
administration headed by
General Olusegun Obasanjo who was his arch enemy(he
was thrown into
prison by my husband on treason charges),I have been
subjected to physical
and psychological torture by the security agents in
the country. As a
widow that is so traumatized, I have lost confidence
in anybody within
the country. You must have heard over the media
reports and the internet
on the recovery of various huge sums of money
deposited by my husband
in different security firms abroad,some companies
willingly gave up
their secrets and disclosed our money confidently
lodged there and many
outrightly blackmailed us. In fact the total sum
discovered by the
Government so far is in the tune of $700.Million
dollars. And they are not
relenting to make me poor for life.

I will give you more information as to this regard as
soon as you
reply. I repose great confidence in you hence my
approach to you due to
security network placed on my day to day affairs I
cannot afford to visit
the embassy(house arrest) so that is why I decided to
contact you and I
hope you will not betray my confidence in you. I have
deposited the sum
of US$75 million dollars with a security firm abroad
whose name is
withheld for now until we open communication. I shall
be grateful if you
could receive this fund into your account for
safekeeping.This
arrangement is known to you and my family lawyer who
shall deal directly with you
as I am still under house arrest. I am seriously
considering to settle
down abroad as soon as I regain my freedom so that I
can start all over
again if only you wish, but if it is possible, just
help me in
diverting this funds into your bank account which will
accrue you 20% of this
fund. Please honesty is the watchword in this
transaction. I am still
under house arrest being Monitored by the security
agents day-in day-out.

And should you accept my terms, kindly send me an
email signifying your
interest to help me out through my email box as this
is only safe for
me now so that we can commence communication
immediately. And upon
receipt of your message of interest, I shall give you
a more detailed
picture of things. In case you don't accept please do
not let me out to the
security as I am giving you this information in total
trust and
confidence. I will greatly appreciate if you accept my
proposal in good faith.
Please expedite action. Please reply urgently and
treat with absolute
confidentiality and sincerity. Please view this site
and read it's
content carefully:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/468903.stm

Sincerely Yours,

Mrs. Maryam Abacha.

ALTERNATIVE EMAIL ( selcom01 () sify com)

Mail sent from WebMail service at PHP-Nuke Powered
Site
- http://yoursite.com

=====
Sincerely,