Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Authenticated VS Anonymous in a secure Zone

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:54:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Roger Barbeau wrote:

Hi!

A design question for all of you.

Let's say that we have two web servers in our DMZ.
Traffic to the web server 1 is authenticated by the firewall and the
credential is relayed to the web server 1.
Traffic to the web server 2 is anonymous.

What is the security concern about having authenticated traffic and
anonymous traffic going to the same zone?

Any exploitable condition in Web Server 2 means that Web Server 1 can be
attacked from there.  In an ideal design, things which require the same
level of security are separated from things which require different levels
of security.  Generally, in Web "Extranet" designs, this is done by
putting an additional interface on the firewall, and creating a new "zone"
for the more sensitive thing.

Paul