Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:04:28 +0530

On 07/05/04 09:05 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
<snip>
800 to 1000 per what?
800 to 1000 USD per month for 5 people total.
I don't work there, hence the approximate numbers.

Flip the people/system costs and you will see what I mean. Bodies are
cheap, systems are not.

Bodies are salary + 50% for benefits, etc.  AV can't be more than what,
$60/node/year (Really, it's less than half that, but at retail box,
single copy prices, we'll use that number.)

That's $2400/year for licenses, add in $1200 for a gateway, and another
60*400 is USD 24000, not 2400.

$1000 for 400 mailboxes of gateway AV- we've got $4600/year for 400 nodes
24000 + 1200 + 1000 = 26400 USD.

of protection, desktop and main e-mail gateway.  If you're getting someone
who's competent enough to clean out tricky viral programs for a
loaded cost of $4600/year (so, ~75% of that,) then you're in a unique
I am saying 12000 USD is the cost of enough people to keep the network
running and staff working. I will not say it runs well, but it runs
enough to let people get their work done.

spot.  If that single person can keep up with the infection rates when you
get a mass infection, they're not likely to be around for long.
A mass infection is their only issue usually. And those are rare.

Devdas Bhagat