Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Evolution of Firewalls

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex ru>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:24:33 +0300

nuqneH,

There is major difference: proxy does analysis and reconstructs data
stream from analysed data, and stateful ispection system can only decide
to let it pass or no. The impact is obvious: it is much more likely for
stateful inspection system to miss thing that is not known to it or to
exploit a bug when inspection system parses data differently from
the communication endpoint. The proxy output stream, not only general
verdict, depends on parsing results.

YMMV and it is implementation dependant; a bad proxy may implement
protocol without proper detalization and a good stateful inspection engine
may behave better, but proxy technology in general is clearly superior
for real world.