Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple small switches vs. a single big one; Granularity of control

From: "Shimon Silberschlag" <shimons () bll co il>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:55:55 +0200

The main risk as I see it is not having an outside attacker change the
switch config, but an insider  doing it, presumably not maliciously but
through error or mistake.

What I wanted to know was, how will the switch behave if the change
prevented the FWSM from seeing any VLAN traffic? Will traffic then pass
unchecked between the segments?

I also wonder why didn't anyone answer my second question about granularity
of control. Do people contend to control the segment level only, or aim to
control each and every server on the segment?

Shimon Silberschlag

+972-3-9351572
+972-51-207130