Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple small switches vs. a single big one; Granularity of control

From: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder () doit wisc edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:21:53 -0600

On Mar 2, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Sloane, David wrote:
When I had a 6509, we had two supervisor engines (MSFC's?) with mirrored configurations and redundant power. As far as I could tell, any hardware or software failure which would clear the configuration would have to kill both management cards, making the switch inoperative.

A common scenario is to downgrade the version of CatOS you're running. As a side effect, you also get to lose your config. The MSFC's would still have their configs if you're running catos on the switch and IOS on the MSFC.

Aside from that, it's not clear to me why you would ever lose your config (maybe an accidental configuration is more likely than no config), but that's why one has backups, revision control, and change management procedures for their configurations.

On a side note, I've seen 6500's fail but never in a way such that the other supervisor was able to take over and avoid a complete outage.

I like the "set default port-status disable" option - that seems like a more secure way to manage the switch.

Good advice!

For high throughput and expandability, you might want to combine a fast firewall with several Cisco Catalyst 3750 switches. They have some nice features (single-IP management of several linked devices) and cost less per port than the chassis switches (especially for gigabit ports).

And they run IOS, not CatOS. With the 3750, you can also etherchannel across multiple boxes. That's not a new idea in the industry, but it is for Cisco.

Dale