Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD 4.9 ipfw natd -- Port Forwarding

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:22:41 +0800

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 05:27:18PM -0700, Adam Humphrey wrote:
Natd.conf:
redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.101:80 80

But now my web logs show everything coming from my firewall's external IP
address and not the actual IP of the request.

How do I get the original IP for the request to pass though my firewall and
get my log files displaying the appropriate source IP addresses?

I use 'ipfw fwd', no NAT. I don't see the problem you describe. In my case
the packets are being forwarded to a RFC 1918-addressed jail within the
same box. Purely from a packet flow perspective I think there is no
difference between this and forwarding to an external server, although I
can't rule out the involvement of some magic kernel knobs and I haven't
read the code in a while.

Example from my /etc/rc.firewall.rules:

  add <number> fwd 192.168.x.x tcp from any to x.x.x.x 80 keep-state setup

See manpage for more info on 'fwd'.

HTH. Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>