Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW and TCP Sessions

From: Henning Brauer <hb () bsws de>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:47:37 +0200

* Manoj Kumar Neelapareddy <manojkreddyutl () yahoo com> [2004-06-01 15:15]:
if a FW is said to be a stateful firewall, then will
it allow a TCP packet to pass through it(outbound), if
i haven't sent a TCP SYN to initiate a TCP Session
before sending this TCP packet?

this depends on the implementation.

In OpenBSD's pf, we evaluate the regular ruleset if there was no match
in the state table.

I heard that Statefull firewall won't allow any TCP
packets, other than TCP SYNs to pass through it, if
there is no session corresponding a TCP packet is
maintained in FW's session table.

that may be true for some specific implementation, or even with a
specific ruleset.

and FW will create a new session only when it detects
a TCP SYN.

again, this is implementation- and ruleset dependent.

in pf:
  pass in to $webserver port 80 keep state
would create state for any packet coming in and destined to $webserver
port 80, while
  pass in to $webserver port 80 keep state flags S
would only do so for SYNs.

--
hb () bsws de - henning () openbsd org
(Dennis Ritchie)