Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple MAC address on one interface

From: Mircea MITU <mmitu () bitdefender com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:48:34 +0300

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 10:40 -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
So, is there some cheap way to have one NIC respond to multiple MAC addresses?

It sounds like you're trying to solve the problem NAT was invented for. Are
you trying to put multiple machines behind a single broadband connection with
one address? I have a $50 Linksys BEFSR41 providing that service and it works
just fine.

Well, I have a 3 year old second NIC (intel eepro 100) which I bought
for a beer and a $10 switch which makes the same job cheaper than your
$50 Linksys. For another beer I'll show everyone what and where to read
about Linux routing and netfilter :)

mjr.

Mircea "will NAT for beer" MITU

--
This message was scanned for spam and viruses by BitDefender
For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/