Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

SOCK5 Proxy and MSN 6.2 IM

From: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn () rocsys com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:57:54 +0530

Hi,
  I observed that SOCK5 client support is built in most of
  IM clients such as MSN IM, AOL IM, ICQ etc..

  As I understand SOCK5 is used for authenticated firewall
  traversal and also to open holes in firewall to receiving incoming
  connections and any new outgoing connections.

  I have installed SOCK5 proxy server on my firewall and tried to
  see if MSN IM works without any ALG (Application specific
  intelligence).  Normal chat works  through SOCKS5 proxy, but
  the file transfer, Audio/Video conversation does not go through.
  It seems that MSN IM Client, rather than going making connections
  through the SOCKS5 proxy server, is making connections directly.

  Does anybody have any observations on whether MSN 6.2 IM support
  of SOCK5 for file transfer/audio/video connections? Is there any thing
  I am missing in my configuration of MSN IM client?

Thanks in advance
Ravi