Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

To spoof or not to spoof???? That is the question....

From: InHisGrip <servie_platon () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

I don't know if you have already answered this or not?

This is about email spoofing. A long time back, this
email address of mine was spoofed or atleast being
used to send malicious worms, beagle variant.

Now, right now it happened again like I received an
email with attachment coming from myself and sent to
my address also which is infected with this worm
variant.

My question is, since this worm has happened before
and I checked the security updates/howto's from
symantec and mcafee.... I checked and found that my
client PC's was not infected and clearn.

I was just wondering why this happened again? I am
sure that this is not due to my present configuration
as this problem happened in the past and besides, I
followed all the suggestions from this group on how to
secure both my linux box, my home networked PC's and
my hardware router.

Since this has happened again, I have decided to use
gnupg for all my machines in the future. However, I am
just curious as to how this has happened?

What are the possibilities? Is my yahoo mail account
been infected? Or is it possible that a person that I
know has been infected that's why occasionally it
sends an email to all addresses in the address book?
Also, I always make sure that my antivir have
automatic updates of the latest virus definitions
regularly.

The only thing that I may know right now is, when I
made an online purchase for a product.... though I
went into a site that is secure as it is a https
site... I think, someone may have intercepted some of
my packets and sniffed their way through. Or unless
otherwise...

Can anyone please enlighten me on this email spoofing
before I decomission this email for good and use
another one if there is no cure or solution for this.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

InHisGrip,
Servie