Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: Julian Gomez <kluivert () tm net my>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:39:31 +0800

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:03:50PM -0500, J. Oquendo spoke thusly:

(snip)

for any tailored cert. (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE for networking for example) Some
time ago I recall having a conversation with a friend in the compsec field
who worked at a Fortune500 really big company. According to my friend, his
company paid to have their employees take the cert exams and had those
taking the test memorize as much as they could to recreate the exams in
order for the next workers to pass them with ease. Big business in
certifications. Think about a company where the entire sysadmin/compsec
admin was certified to the tee.

I've been told, though I cannot personally verify this, that a number of
MNCs have people on their books whose *sole* job function is to study, sit
and pass certification exams.

To satisfy various partner requirements, auditing purposes, extra
discounts, yada yada yada. Seems far-fetched, but there you have it.