Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

denycomm, blocks IPs 4 different ways

From: <auto92089 () hushmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:54:02 -0800

Sorry for the line-wrapping, it's the web interface.

I have a little command-line tool (denycomm) that black holes a given
IP. It works out-of-the-box with iptables, pf, ipf, and route. You might
use this tool manually, just to avoid mistakes, or automatically, for
example triggered by a log-monitoring program or an IDS.  I'd like to
add support for as many firewalls as practicable.

IMHO it's unsanitary to hard-code commands into these programs that are
specific to your firewall, or worse, to your firewall configuration.
Use this program instead.  You can use command-line args or better yet
a simple (one word) config file. In the future it may sprout a "clever"
option that guesses what firewall you're running, obviating the need
for a config file.  For all you people with money to burn, you can define
a custom handler to alter a commercial firewall's rules.  If you change
firewalls, you make a one line change in the config file and that's it;
you need never touch snort or swatch or any other program which blocks
hosts.

This will be the back end to a much more ambitious distributed system.

http://travcom.tripod.com/

Comments to or CC'd directly to me please; I archive this list but don't
always read it.

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434