Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Handling Invalid Login Requests in Firewall

From: DLN Krishna <dlnk () intotoinc com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:18:56 -0800

Hi,

In one of ASIAN countries, firewall criteria indicates that, if user tries to log into the firewall appliance for more than X number of times, appliance MUST not
    allow that user to log-in until the password of the user is changed.

    There is another school of thought that this type of behavior might become
DoS for genuine users. It is possible that, the attacker might try to log-in multiple times with victim's user name and give wrong password. When this happens, victim will not be able to access, until his password is changed by Administrator. Administrator might take many hours to change the password and also this can
    become a big head-ache for administrator.

I feel that, logging a message (or sending alert to the administrator) when
    log-in is not successful for X number of times with information such as
    source IP and source Port and user name, which is being used to log-in,
    would be good, over denying any further log-in attempts.

     I would appreciate, if somebody could shed some light on any better
     approaches to handle this.

Thanks,
Krishna
CTO Office
Intoto Inc.
www.intotoinc.com

* D L N Krishna,     dlnk () intotoinc com
* Intoto Inc.                             voice : (408)844-0480 Ext 332
* 3160, De La Cruz Blvd, #100,            fax   : (408)844-0488
* Santa Clara, CA - 95054