Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:18:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Mordechai T. Abzug wrote:

I've often heard the argument that security and connectivity are
inversely proportional.  IMHO, the problem with it is that
availability is supposed to be part of security.  A firewall that is
"so secure" that it breaks connectivity/availability isn't secure at
all; it's a self-DOS.

Only if the connectivity it breaks is allowed by the security policy, and
the security policy needs to relect the business need for connectivity.

I've yet to see a business need for BotNet clients to run successfully ;)

Paul