Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:35:37 -0600

Wes Noonan so eloquently put forth:

Just to add some fuel to the fire, I agree with Ron. Security seems almost
secondary to many B2B implementations. Almost a "if we trust them to
partner, why worry" kind of attitude.

*Almost?* You mean *Exactly* that kind of attitude...

If you want to look at things that you can do though, there is a relatively
short bullet list[1]:

Use VPNs between sites
Terminate VPNs into DMZs
Implement firewalls at the termination point
Grant access only to those resources in the DMZ that each company needs
access to
Never grant access to your production network or resources

I was ok up until that last one...

What's the point of connecting them up, if they don't get access to anything
(isn't stuff in the DMZ *production*? Perhaps you meant
"Never grant access to your *internal* production network or resources?"