Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Transparent proxying

From: "Victoria of Borg" <vicofborg () myrealbox com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:11:53 -0800

From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com] On Behalf
Of kaptain
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Transparent proxying

WCCP is more elegant.  It doesn't force default routes and it
uses health checks with proxies that support it.  If the
proxy goes down, the router will bypass the proxy and go
directly to the origin server.

A couple of months ago, I helped setup a WCCP-based system using Squid
(www.squid-cache.org) as the cache-engine.  This worked remarkably well.
When we brought up the Squid engine, after making sure our WCCP config was
correct, every single outbound HTTP request was routed through the proxy.
Not a single change was needed on the desktop.  It was a wonderous event.

To make matters more interesting, the WCCP protocol supports multiple
cache-engines.  It then parcels out a portion of traffic to each engine
based on a hash of the URL.  That way, all traffic heading to
http://www.cisco.com/ hits the same cache, where traffic going to
http://www.hotmail.com/ could go through a different one.  If any of the
engines drops out, within 30 seconds WCCP will notice and repartition
traffic accordingly.  And if all engines fail, traffic goes out the default
route instead.