Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Semi-OT: blade servers, backplanes, and DMZs

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:29:54 -0800 (PST)

you need to look very closly at the particular blade system. I have seen
some that share a lot of infrastructure and cannot be completely isolated
into different security domains, at the other extreme I have seen systems
where the blades are really as independant as seperate boxes would be and
the enclosure is just a way of saving on rack/case expenses.

most are somewhere in between.

when you look at the management interface look to see if this is just a
general purpose network interface with software to provide the management,
or if it is really a centralized console system (I've seen some where the
management port is really just a second interface on the system and I've
seen others where it just connected into a IP based console switch, and
others where it connected to specialized hardware that replaced the
console) a 'one-way' interface like a IP based KVM switch should be
pretty safe, custom hardware may be safe, depending on how much you can
really do to the running OS with it, watch out for anything that claims
you can apply patches over the management connection.

as for network connections, I've seen some blades that have propriatary
communications within them that translate to ethernet on the common port
on the back of the enclosure, I've seen others where each blade has it's
own ports and the enclosure just includes a switch. if it's the second
type look to see what your options are for having a blade NOT connect to a
switch and to have multiple switches in one enclosure.

David Lang