Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help On "Stealth" Fire Walls

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:57:26 -0500

I have the direcway DW6000 modem and satelite internet access.  built into the modem is a stealth type firewall that
keeps me from accessing overnet, windows update, and a whole host of other applications.  direcway support says there
is no way to drop the firewall.  could someone walk me through a way to make my IP address "unstealthed"?

It's less the firewall and more the NAT. I use Direcway too and some
services (I use ground control) offer a fixed IP address option. It costs
the same but you can only (obviously) have one machine instead of
a whole NAT'd network. My Direcway router plugs into a Linksys BEFSR41
which provides firewall and NAT for the 10 machines behind it. :)

mjr.