Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Help. How to stop attacks on gateway/linux host.

From: Yesh Sriram <ysriram () elorasoftindia com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:28:05 +0530

Sir/Madam,
We are a small software business (mostly Java developers) located in CHENNAI/INDIA. We have a machine running Linux/Redhat to which all our computers connect for internet access through a DSL/Modem with static IP. We use the static IP to host demonstration for customers.

For the last 6 months our DSL bills are extremely high. We examined our logs and there is someone using the bandwidth from our host every night. We can turnoff the machine but not sure if this is the right solution.

We have done the following (for the last three months)
- Change passwords every 3 days
- Run only http, https, ssh
- Disable ftp

But we still continue to see the nightly breaks into our host machine. We have no Linux expertise except as developers. We checked out firewall software price and it's expensive, and there is no expert support available. Can someone
suggest a fix for this. Even a policy fix/advice would be helpfull.

We will be extremely gratefull for the support.

Regards
Yesh Sriram
EloraSoft India Pvt. Ltd.