Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Spyware mumbo jumbo and bigger woes

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:50:00 +0530

On 07/12/04 21:59 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:
<quoting style corrected>
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:45:24AM -0500, Dave Piscitello wrote:
| I think the "reason" no one's doing too much evil of the sort you
| describe with spyware is that the motivation of spyware companies is
| "for profit". Many of the spyware developers are full time
| programmers with 401K and medical bennies working for profit-seeking
| companies that have deplorable business ethics. Phishing crosses the
| vague line between what is illegal and what is unpleasant/intrusive.
|
| On 2 Dec 2004 at 14:43, J. Oquendo wrote:
|

| > how long until someone wisens(evils) up and creates a
| > replica in conjuction with hosts files and scams a couple of thousand
| > people into sending priceless information to some shmuck with too much
| > time on his/her hands.

Dave,

      I suspect I misunderstand you.

      Are you saying that the practice of phishing is in a grey
area?  I mean, I'm on the side of Abagnale and the redemptionists (to

I understood that to mean that while adware/spyware is unpleasant and
intrusive, but possibly not illegal, phishing is clearly illegal.

reprise a debate), but I have no doubt that phishing is nasty
misrepresentation and fraud, and not justifiable by any logic.  And I
say that even as I can appriciate the artistry of a well executed
phish, in the same way I can appriciate a Jet Li movie.  I wouldn't
want to hit it in real life.

Artistic or not, it ranks out there as a crime.

/me returns to looking for patterns in phishing accounts while
terminating them.

Devdas Bhagat