Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: smtp proxy on firewall

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:46:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, stephane nasdrovisky wrote:
postfix (full feature smtp server but seems stronger than sendmail)

We've just started switching some of our MX's over to postfix and I must say that I've been pleased with the experience. But regardless of whether you're moving to postfix or stuck on sendmail the next advise I felt was less good:

comes to mind (with amavis & spamassasin, you'll have your anti-spam feature you diserved for years).

Use MailScanner!** Use three virus checkers (f-prot is cheap and clamav is free and there are plenty of others out there), mixin SA rules, filename checking, add lots of things that you can optionally adjust and let MailScanner keep it all straight. It works with postfix, sendmail, qmail, and a few other MTA's are rumored. It'll keep your virus definition files up to date whether you're using one antivirus engine or twelve.

http://www.mailscanner.info/

Its absolutely awesome open source and it is well supported by the primary author Julian Field and a very active mailing list community. And its in Perl and Perl is a wonderful language (or so I've heard). :)

--
</chris>

"Fans of Mozilla's free, open-source Firefox browser make the
ardent Apple faithful look like a bunch of slackers."
- Rebecca Lieb at clickz.com

** P.S./Disclaimer/Footnote: I'm part of a consulting firm and we semiregularly install MailScanner for customers. This isn't a Microsoft Certified shop putting Windows ME on everyone's perfectly working boxes sort of consulting, so if you want to throw money at the problem drop me a note offlist. But I'm really pleased with our spam/virus filtering/tagging system because of MailScanner. So...