Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Forward 2 networks

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:49:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Rudi Starcevic wrote:

I've been trying to figure this one out but am getting a little lost and confused. I have 2 NICs:
eth0 192.168.2.7
eth1 192.168.3.7
each has it's own 10/100 switch.

Good.

On eth0, 192.168.2.7, I have a small network of PC happily using NAT with a default gateway of 192.168.2.1 I'd like to forward traffic for eth1, 192.168.3.7 out eth0, 192.68.2.7

Sure.

With one NIC I'm confident but with two, or more, I'm lost. I have checked out Lartc but am still unsure, perhaps I should be posting this there?

This is a firewall question so it seems relevant here to me, but a Linux-specific forum would be fine too.

The answer:

- make sure the box with two NIC's has proper routing for itself. Can it ping hosts on both networks and the Internet in general?

- enable forwarding in the kernel.  Doing something like:
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local should do it.

With that you should be able to ping the real world from a host on the 192.168.3 network. See if it works.

--
</chris>

"Fans of Mozilla's free, open-source Firefox browser make the
ardent Apple faithful look like a bunch of slackers."
- Rebecca Lieb at clickz.com