Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

WPA Pre-Shared Key TKIP vs AES

From: Servie Platon <servie_tech () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:13:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi security gurus and  FW experts alike,

I am just curious, which WPA algorithm is better? TKIP
or AES?

There is an article below that says WPA is better than
WEP for a number of reasons.

http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-wep.htm

Now I am in the process of changing WEP in our
office's WRT54G router which is intended to hookup
some laptop and notebook PCs for mobile office users.

But my problem is I have no idea which one is better
TKIP or AES? And secondly, does WPA shared key mean
that I have to create a passphrase (i.e. diceware
list) to generate encryption? Will this be harder to
break as opposed to WEP which is easier?

We could not select WPA RADIUS or RADIUS because we
are but a small company and no RADIUS server in place.

Also,
http://www.tech-faq.com/wireless-networks/wpa-wi-fi-protected-access.shtml
gives some info on WPA in general. How do I enable
security enhancements in WPA as indicated in the URL
above?

Any thoughts and insights on how to secure our
company's WLAN through WPA would be highly
appreciated.

TIA,

Sincerely,
Servie