Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World

From: fred () avolio com (Frederick M Avolio)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:19:20 -0500 (EST)

Marcus wrote:
... What is the cost of enumerating viruses and malware and
running antivirus software ($19/year/desktop...) versus
the cost of telling the system exactly what code you
want to allow to run. (Hmmm, let's see - I could define
my desktop computer's "allow" list in 3 seconds: Eudora,
Opera, Photoshop, Powerpoint, Word, and directory toolkit)
The obvious answer is "default deny" rather than "default
permit and block/enumerate all evil."

Can you buy such a thing? I know that early AV software did that. Is
there anything we can buy today that will do this? PC firewalls (can)
do this for outbound connections? I'd buy software that does this
today if I could. Problem is... who else -- besides SOME people
on this list -- would do the same?

Fred