Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAPT - NAT Port selection

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:58:05 +0530

On 20/08/04 09:05 +0530, ravivsn () www rocsys com wrote:
Hi,
NAPT devices allow access to internet by internal machines having
private IP addresses using one or more public IP addresses.

We are vendors of security devices and these have NAPT feature
and we allow upto 63K TCP connections from internal machines at any
time. 63K limit comes from number of unique source ports that can be
assigned as NAT ports.

Our customer, who is one of  small ISPs, wanted to use these devices. This
ISP gives private IP addresses to their customers and using NAPT provides

Ewwww. Public IP space is cheap. Private IP space is for end users, not
ISPs.

internet access to its customers. The ISP has limited number of public IP
addresses and it wants us to increase the number of TCP connection for each
public IP address to go from 63K to very high number.

If they have that many customers, they can surely justify getting more
public IP space.

<snip>
     -  Is it good for NAPT device to use same NAT port for different
sessions, if they are  going to different destination (based on
Destination IP and Port)?  Do you see any problems associated with
this apart one mentioned above?

Not really. All that is necessary to identify the connection uniquely is
that the combination of (source port, source ip, destination port,
destination ip and protocol) be unique.

You may run into implementation issues, tracking all these connections.

Devdas Bhagat