Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Gauntlet 6 "adaptive proxy"

From: "Shivdasani, Meenoo" <Meenoo.Shivdasani () venterscience org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:00:14 -0400

Kevin,

Basically, what adaptive proxy in Gauntlet 6 does is run the initial connection through the usual proxy mechanism and
then memorize the fact that the connection has passed the usual checks at which point the connection is handled at the
packet filter level rather than taking it up to the proxy level.  When you use adaptive proxy, you can't do things like
content filtering or virus scanning at the application level.  If I remember correctly, those checks take precedence
over adaptive proxy so if you have them enabled, adaptive proxy doesn't kick in even if you have it enabled.

The security trade-off is the fact that the traffic bypasses the application level checks.