Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: @Stake CTO fired for Microsoft comments

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:45:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

Dan's never been afraid to tell the truth.  That @Stake fired him for
telling the truth, and such a well-known truth, says more about
@Stake's lack of integrity and love of MS $$$ than it does about Dan.

I don't know Dan, so I can't comment on that part.

@Stake is in some ways a competitor to TruSecure, so I'll try to avoid
commenting on that part too.

I think it's a damn shame that companies want the best of both worlds.
I'm constantly butting into the marketing wall of death over things like
e-mail addresses and corporate attribution- and I've successfully made the
case for several years that companies I work for really, really don't want
their domain on my public e-mails.  The current compromise is adding that
address to my .sig (I've also been somewhat worried about frivilous
lawsuits, hence the .sig.)

Security people almost have to take unpopular positions.  If you're going
to be honest about things, you're going to piss off a lot of vendors and
quite a few indivduals too.  Most of them can understand the rationale,
even if they don't like the current instantiation.

Much worse than knee jerk vendor reaction to criticism is knee jerk
employer reaction to criticism of a third party.  I don't think
I'd want to work in that sort of environment.

Homogenous networks are bad, and it's worse when your protection
mechanisms are on the same platform as the resources.  I wouldn't run a
Windows firewall at a company with Windows desktops anymore than I'd run a
Linux firewall at home if I was serious about security[1].  For instance,
I know my Clavister firewall at home doesn't share any stack code with the
Linux and BSD machines it's protecting, lessening a chance of a single
problem affecting both my firewall and the protected clients[2].

Paul
[1] I wouldn't run a Windows firewall at home either though ;)
[2] That doesn't mean I wouldn't run firewalling code on *BSD or Linux as
well, just that I've got as much diversity as I can tolerate.