Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: how to check if someone is blocking me or watching me?

From: Mike Hoskins <mike () adept org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] how to check if someone is blocking me or watching
me?
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 ngunness () canada com wrote:
Is it ture that i can find out if someone is blocking
me and tracking me? Norman
If you're doing something "wrong" from a network, the obvious answer is
not to do it.  If it's privacy, not legality or appropriateness, then do
it from a machine you own and a connection you pay for.

to that, i'd just add...  "encrypt everything, and then assume it's still
being read".  even if it's a machine you own, on a connection you "pay
for" -- lots of people can still be watching.  i assume anything i type
will be read by others.  it's not a question of if, only when.  that's a
bit paranoid, but if the mythical "determined atacker" is who you're
trying to thwart, you may not be able to keep your data safe...  only to
ensure that it has at least aged enough to be useless before it's
recovered.

of course, computers get faster and faster all the time while advances in
public cryptography come in bursts...  but that's the world of security.
nothing is ever trusted 100%.  the best you can do is use all available
tools, follow best practices, and try to sleep at night.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher () adept org>
To: spam-catcher () adept org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!