Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Followup: An interesting VPN problem

From: Jonas Anden <dajudge () home se>
Date: 01 Sep 2003 17:51:08 +0200

Thanks for all replies. I'll try to summarize them all here to share our
findings.

- Source routing cannot be done on the PIX (at least not on the 501
model).

- Normal routing rules can be used to accomplish the desired effect:

  - Put the default route on the inside:

route inside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.20.1

  - Add a host route for the remote PIX:

route outside 10.10.0.2 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.1

  - Repeat above steps for the remote PIX, (of course changing IP
addresses as necessary).

  - Add a network route for the remote network on the local PIX:

route outside 192.168.21.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.21.1

This has the desired effect; all traffic on the remote network is pushed
through the tunnel and routed through the local firewall.

One comment though: I'm also using dhcp relaying for the IP address
assignments. Strange enough; the relayed DHCP does *not* go through the
tunnel (bypassing routing rules). So I had to set up a two-step
relaying; the remote pix relays to the external IP of the local pix,
which has relays into the local dhcp server.

Thanks for all your help!

  // J