Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Web Server Monitoring

From: Tony Turner <tnyturner () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:44:15 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

We have several web servers that we support throughout the southeast.  We usually use VNC.  I have a few questions for
you.  How secure is VNC and what are some known security risks.  What is the best way to monitor these servers?   have
used large scale monitoring tools that create tickets whenever a server or a switch stops responding, but this was all
on the same network.  I am looking at a program called Networkview.  This product gives me a GUI interface with all of
my sites and let's me know which are up or down.  It will also email me if something goes down.  It seems that it works
great locally, but I need something that I can use over the Internet.  Networkview will ping these IP addresses, but
most of these webservers are behind routers or firewalls that block ICMP.  WIll SNMP work over the internet and is it
really necessary to block ICMP.  How hard is SNMP to set up and where do I start?

Thanks for any help!

Tony