Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Squid Proxy

From: Michael Still <mikal () stillhq com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:20:51 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Bunnet Som wrote:

I have interested in linux for long time. I have used linux since it was
version 6.2.

I assume you mean Redhat 6.2, as we're only up to kernel 2.6...

Now i wan to know the amount of byte-in and byte-out of each users that use
the internet.
So can i do this with squid?

There are _many_ squid log analysers out there. At a most basic level
/var/log/squid/access.log (or whereever your install of squid puts the
access log) shows information like:

1063067472.535  32983 172.29.0.101 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 187 GET http://www.google.com/nav_page.gif -
DIRECT/216.239.37.99 text/html
1063067473.769  16660 172.29.0.101 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 187 GET http://www.google.com/nav_next.gif -
DIRECT/216.239.37.99 text/html
1063067491.403  80661 172.29.0.101 TCP_MISS/200 19092 GET http://lwn.net/Articles/30107/ - DIRECT/66.216.68.48 text/html
1063067505.625  31129 172.29.0.101 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 256 GET http://lwn.net/images/lcorner.png - DIRECT/66.216.68.48 -

Where the second column is the number of bytes downloaded, and the third
column is the IP address of the requesting machine.

That wont tell you the number of outgoing bytes, nor the amount of non-web
traffic from each machine, but it's a start.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal () stillhq com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"