Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Mail server security (Was: Re: [OT] tcpdump parsing)

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 18:21:12 -0400

Thus spake Austin, Greg (gaustin () RKON com) [08/10/03 18:11]:
What sort of mail system is it?  Does the system in question support
relaying for authenticated hosts?  If so I've seen a recent spate of
people who aren't configured to relay being used as relays when
configured this way.

I've seen all *sorts* of different ways to relay spam (I'm an admin at a
small ISP).  One of them is abusing the AUTH LOGIN bug, then there's open
proxies and relays, trojans, etc.

What's got me stumped is that they have *no* open ports, other than the
default Windows port (again, three port scans confirmed this).  Which is why
I moved to the network dump.

This is /not/ a mail system in question, it's a home users connection.

I've seen this a half dozen times in the last few months, and in every
case I've found successful bogus authlogins from hosts in China and
other odd places in my sniffer traces.  Usually the local admin account
on the box had a brilliant password like "administrator" or <blank>.
Incidentally, these were all Exchange boxes patched up to the latest.
Can't blame MS for the poor password choices though.  Anyway, in case

I've found this as well in a number of locations.  It's a right PITA, trying
to find an open relay where one doesn't exist (technically).  I've chastised
a couple of remote sites for poor password choices.

This makes me wonder if the SMTP AUTH holy grail that's being toted in
inet-access and NANOG is more trouble than it will be worth.  I'm all for
authenticated SMTP, but until the security industry can find a way for end
users to have a simple, secure way of authenticating themselves, I just
don't think it's going to cut it.

It's one thing for a hax0r to break in to an end users account and start
faking newsgroup/Yahoo! Groups posts as the user.  It's another entirely
when someone brute forces your user base (and in 10k users, they're *bound*
to find a couple of easy-to-guess passwords) and starts relaying spam
through you like there's no tomorrow.

And this is no home connection, either.  If they SLIP/SSH into a Unix prompt
at another ISP, they could have 50+Mbps at their hands for relaying spam.
That's a *heck* of a lot of e-mail.

Yes, yes, I know.  Secure password policy.  A debate I don't want to enter
right now.

this applied to your situation I thought I'd chip in with this bit.  If
it doesn't apply, ignore me (a good choice in most cases anyway).

Ditto.