Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Help yourself get the answers

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:05:57 -0400 (EDT)

I'm posting a minor rant here, because of a series of poorly thought out
emails that our esteemed moderator has let through to the list.

If you want to get your question answered:

(1) Be specific [give details!]

        Say: "I'd like to be able to get reports of traffic usage and what
                websites my users went to, are there any freeware tools to do
                this?"

        Not: "Are there any freeware log parsing tools"

(2) Do your research.

        Say: "I've looked at Firewall-1, PIX, and Netscreen firewalls, and
                they all handle VPN connections."

        Not: "What firewall should I use for VPNs"

                ...or worse yet

                "What's the best firewall"

        Reading the archives is useful, and wastes less of everybody elses
        time making it more likely that you'll get answers in the future.

(3)     Differentiate opinion and fact.

        Say: "IIS can't handle more than 60mbits of traffic"

        Not: "IIS sucks"

cheers!